Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Give it up!

My friend Tom and I decided to both watch a movie and then write blogs about it (a bonding exercise, you could say). Tom happened to suggest that we watch what he currently had from Netflix, so I added it to the top of my queue to make sure we posted close in time to each other.

National Lampoon's Adam and Eve made me wonder...what exactly is National Lampoon association all about? I mostly remember it from the heyday of Chevy Chase & crew, and 10 minutes into this movie it is obvious that this is a different type of film. Apparently, National Lampoon was spawned from The Harvard Lampoon, and used to be a magazine. I still don't quite understand what makes a movie qualified to add "N.L." to their licensing, but ...

A&E didn't have much to do with the biblical A&E, except for the issue of virginity. While you might think that a N.L. movie dealing with the issue of college-age students losing/keeping their virginity might be time for crazy hijinks and lots of nudity, you'd be mistaken. This was more of a low-low-budget drama, with a bit of mildly gross physical humor sprinkled through the middle. Perhaps the shining-est moment was when I realized that we were blessed with an appearance by the wonderful
Courtney Peldon, of Go Fug Yourself fame.

I second Tom's opinion that the character Adam could be a double for Beetlejuice if they ever make a sequel, they'll save tons on the makeup hours alone! He just doesn't have the charisma to carry off a role like this as a lead character. I'm not certain if a stronger actor could have helped much, though, the plot was not what you'd consider amazing.

Now I don't want to damn them with faint praise, but I did find it more watchable than Idiocracy. I've been known to enjoy a dumb movie now and then, but I only made it through the first 1/2 hour of this before I had to quit.

Has anyone else tried to watch either of these?

3 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer about Idiocracy, I had high hopes after Office Space. My favorite dumb movie is Stuck on You, that siamese twin bit gets me every time.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your review is better than mine. I just watched Jack Ass two. It was ever so funny. We should do this again but with a better movie.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I haven't seen Stuck on You!

Thanks Tom, I'll see if I can pick a better one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home