Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Nick Hornby's voice reminded me of Mos Def's in the Hitchhiker's Guide movie. Odd, eh? I listed to a lengthy interview with him yesterday on NPR.

His new book sounds really interesting, it's about 4 people who all go to the same place to commit suicide, and end up talking each other out of it, and then about their relationships afterwards. He described the different situations the people were in that they felt like suicide was their only option, about his own depression, and such.

There is an American in the book (it takes place in London), and he's a chipper, fix-it-all kind of guy. The interviewer asked him if he generally found Americans to be this way, and he said that he didn't, but he thought that the media portrayed them that way, and that made a lot of people feel alienated because they weren't like that. I guess he went along with that stereotype because it was useful for this book, in order books he certainly hasn't, so I guess we can forgive him.

Anyhow, he's an interesting man, I'm disappointed I had to miss the book reading last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home