Saturday, December 04, 2004

Some Canadian candy bars that are "king size" are labeled "grand format"
for the French-Canadian translation (shouldn't it be grande?). I like
that. I live my life grand format.

Tonight R$ & I went to see Raiders of the Lost Arc (midnight showing at the Majestic Bay). It's been so long since I've seen it, I had actually forgotten quite a bit. My dad really likes the Indiana Jones movies, so I've seen them all quite a few times.

All the news programs are going crazy with WINTER STORM WARNINGS (make those letters about 200x bigger, and add flashing text, lightning bolts, etc). It will probably snow in the mountains, and just rain here, nothing unusual. But they have to get into such a frenzy! I'm glad I get most of my news from papers, where it's a little easier to pick & choose what I watch, and avoid some of the propaganda.

And speaking of weatherpeople, I just read finished another good book! It's called Whirlwind. It's about a small-town weatherman who is caught up in a Level 5 Hurricane during a broadcast, and becomes a celebrity. I didn't like the handling very much after he gets a new job....it felt like time went by too fast, but he was longing for something....but the chapter describing the events of the hurricane was excellent. Over the holiday weekend I also read another book by Jaffe, Skateaway. Which was good by not quite as much....oh, and finally The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time which had been on all kinds of best seller and "highly recommended" lists. I did think that it was a skilled handling of an autistic mind, which can certainly be attributed to the fact that the author used to work with people with autism. It was a really quick read, but interesting.

Today for my art class I drew a very cool skull. He's kind of pop art, all the shadows and crevices are done in odd colors. It was a mixed media experiment, I used: pen & ink, sumi brush & ink, oil pastels, and conte crayons. I needed a self-confidence boost w/the art, I'm also doing a still life (guitar, old fashioned sewing machine, striped fabrics, pinecones, bottles, bones....) that isn't going quite as well. We'll just say it's abstract. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home