Monday, November 15, 2004

Lesbians, very little smoke, lots of rock!

On November 3, R & I went to see Tegan and Sara play at the Crocodile. It was a nice show! They always seem to start out their shows a little uncomfortable with the audience. They aren't uncomfortable with their music nor their instruments, but it takes them awhile to make eye contact and begin their trademark stage banter. They played just under one hour, I wish they had done a few more songs on the encore. R claims I'm bordering on stalker-fandom with T&S...however, I deny this because I don't really have any interest in *them*, just their music.

Afterwards, Melissa Ferrick took the stage. I had not heard her music before, but I enjoyed it and seeing her perform. This is a pretty accurate review http://www.advocate.com/html/music/0499_ferrick.asp. She played for a loooong time, possibly 2 hours if the clock & my mind were correct. Part of the enjoyment of that show was the audience, which I would say was 97% gay women (plus R, me, and one other guy). They were reallyreally into her, screaming her name, singing along, laughing, catcalls...at some shows this would be annoying, but this enhanced the effect for me.

Since it was an all ages show, there were very few smokers. I think most smokers are in the late 20's on up age range, which was not a significant population at this show. I caught the scent of a clove wafting over to me, but otherwise I was able to breathe pretty freely, and my clothing didn't reek afterwards.

Anyhow, if you haven't heard T&S's new album, So Jealous, let me know and I'll hook you up. It's a good time! If you've only heard the mp3 samples from their website, you owe yourself another listen, because those are really poor quality. My one complaint with their music is that they have quite a few songs dedicated to how hard it is to be on the road and miss you loved one(s) at home. This theme is tiring to me if I think about it too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home